The purpose of this article is to describe the process of uploading Shipment History in bulk to the TMS. These shipments will be added in a completed status with their accounting closed since they are used only for historical purposes.
For a detailed process on how to import live shipments or shipments that require accounting actions, visit Shipment Importer.
To download the template, go to the main dashboard and click LSP at the top.
Click Implementation Guide
Under Imported, click the Shipment History option.
Note: You will need TMS Admin permissions to access the Implementation Guide.
4. Click the Template button at the bottom of the modal
There are some mandatory fields in this template that you must fill to upload the template without getting any errors:
Shipment ID: This should always be 0 because the system will assign the shipment ID automatically.
Sales Rep ID: Add the staff ID of the staff you want to add as the sales rep for that shipment
- Customer Name
- Pickup Date (use short date format on this cell)
- Origin City
- Origin State
- Origin Zip (use text format on this cell to avoid zeros being removed at the beginning; i.e., "07761" instead of "7761" )
- Destination City
- Destination State
- Destination Zip (use text format on this cell to avoid zeros being removed at the beginning; i.e., "07761" instead of "7761" )
Shipment Type: Select from LTL, Cartage, Domestic Freight, Drayage, or Truckload. Make sure you spell them in that specific format. Avoid abbreviations because they will cause the upload to fail.
- Trailer Type (exclusive for truckload shipments). Please verify the available trailer types from our list by clicking here. Make sure you spell them in that specific format. Avoid abbreviations because they will cause the upload to fail.
- Trailer Size. For Truckload shipments, this can be either Full or Partial.
- Carrier Identifier. The system can Identify the carrier by MC or DOT #. By default, we search by MC #, but in the second step, there is a toggle you can use to use DOT instead.
- Handling Quantity
- Package Type
- Weight Total. Make sure to add the weight of the shipment otherwise, this will cause the upload to fail.
- Pieces Total
Do Not Dispatch Carrier: The system is going to upload the shipments as completed, we do not want to send any request to the carriers so this should always be TRUE.
- Buy (greater than 0) Amount the broker paid the carrier.
- Sell (greater than 0) Amount the customer paid the broker.
Accessorial codes: To add accessorials to the shipments, you must use our accessorial codes found in TMS admin under Rates.
Uploading the Template
To upload the final document to the system, go to the main dashboard and click LSP at the top.
Click Implementation Guide
On the modal, click Next
Choose the file and click Upload
Troubleshooting Import Errors
- The most common errors on this import are related to the zip codes, addresses, dates, carrier identifiers, or special characters. If this happens, ensure the information is in a valid format.
- For the zip codes, ensure they have the leading 0s when applicable. (Consider that Excel will remove leading 0s if you do not format the cell as text).
- Remember that the system will allow you to have zip codes with no less than five characters but a maximum of 6.
- For the carrier identifier, make sure you have a valid one; in the case of MC#, ensure they have at least six digits where the issue is happening; you need to go back and remove the error and try to import once more.
- For Country, ensure you add USA or Canada in that exact format. Avoid abbreviations because they will cause the upload to fail.
- For other Countries, make sure to spell the name correctly.
Once you import, if there's something wrong, the system will let you know and specify the line where the issue is happening; you just need to go back and remove the error and try the import once more.